To start with you can get by with:
- Warm clothing (in light layers)
- Shorts or lightweight trousers – NOT jeans
- Windproof jacket (e.g. Cagoule)
- Warm hat
- Lightweight nonslip footwear (e.g. Trainers, Crocs, plimsolls. NOT wellies or flip-flops)
- Swim shorts, tee-shirt and sun-block if it is hot and sunny during the day
So basically dress for the Scottish weather, and try and anticipate how it may change while you are sailing. Remember it is colder on the water than on the land.
It is a good idea to bring along a complete change of clothes and a towel. You might get wet (children look forward to it).
Once you are sure that sailing is for you, it might be worth investing in:
- Wetsuit / drysuit
- Dinghy boots
- Sailing gloves
The Club has a selection of buoyancy aids for learners.